Our commitment towards a Cleaner, Greener, and Sustainable Future
The Short story - of Our Long history of Sustainability
- We recognize that our Planet is faced with severe Environmental and Ecological challenges – greatest of them being Resource depletion, Climate Change and Ecological disturbance. These are fast transforming the global economic, regulatory and business environment.
- As a responsible Organisation, we are committed to contribute in transforming to a Greener future through Sustainable development practices.
- Sustainability is embedded as a core philosophy across the Organisation and we see Sustainable development as an essential business practice.
- Our Sustainability strategy constitutes the current Environmental priorities of Resource conservation, Green House Gas (GHG) abatement and Pollutant reduction.
- We have made significant strides in Sustainability with our initiatives beginning since year 1994.
- Looking ahead, we have set ourselves an ambitious goal of achieving “Net Zero Carbon” and “Net Zero Water” status in the next few years.
Our Sustainability Pillars
We at J.K.Fenner focus on Environment, Society and Compliances and they form the three pillar. LEAN tool is used for resource consumption reduction to take care of environment, 3R tool is used for resource management and Abatement of CO2 for GHG net emission reduction to achieve our sustainability goal.
Green House Gas (GHG) Abatement
– Renewable Energy
– Emission Reductions
– Energy Efficiency
– Water Conservation
– Material Reduction, Recycling
– Product Innovations
– Green Materials
– Green Technology
– Green Supply Chain
Our Sustainability Initiatives
We Have Carried Out Several Sustainability Initiatives In Our Green Journey by installing wind mills. We understand that to move forward on Sustainability, we need to be backing down our Resource use. Its not a matter of short term measures, rather a marathon of consistent efforts.
In our pursuit to GHG abatement , we as an organisation have opted for greener power by installing wind mills for our plant operations and diversified into solar power from 2016.
- We are a Pioneer in Renewable Energy adaptation and installed wind mills
- 25 years of Renewable energy contribution to the country
- 245 Million Units of Green power generated
- 16.5 Million Units per year presently
- 10.125 MW installed capacity
- Green Power constitutes 68% of Electricity used by the Company
68% Electricity from Renewables (2019)
68% Electricity from Renewables (2019)
India as a country continues to be deprived of safe drinking water. The country ranks among the top most water starved in the global ranking and we as a responsible corporate citizen have taken water conservation as a major initiative in all our plant operations. The 3R approach is taken along with innovation in manufacturing process as a continuous journey to become net water neutral in the years to come.
- Reduce and Recycle has been our Mantra on Water
- Zero-Discharge is implemented in all our facilities through Effluent and Sewage treatment plants
- 100% of Recycled water is utilised in-house for process requirement -s, domestic flushing and gardening
- 100% of Rainwater is harvested using storage tanks, ponds and percolation systems
- Harvested rainwater quantity equals 75% of our fresh-water usage
- Considering the water recharged by Rainwater harvesting , the net-fresh water use is just 9%.
- Fresh-water constitutes less than 30% of total water usage – 70% being reclaimed water.
- Our Madurai plant reduced fresh-water consumption by 40% over the last two years
Net fresh-water use reduced to 9%
In our pursuit to become a net carbon neutral organisation, we always believe that LEAN principle applied in all our resource consumption will enable us to reach the goal. Hence the energy efficiency initiative is driven across plants on a continuous basis for more than a decade and lot of innovations have been implemented year on year. Periodical third part energy audits are conducted across plants and best practices are shared across plants. The industry bench mark is done on a continual basis and the road map are redefined to be the best in the industry.
- Energy Conservation is not only a cost reduction priority, but a Habit imbibed in to our work force since long
- Energy efficiency projects such as Technology upgrades, Process optimization and loss reduction are a regular on-going activity at all our units
- Specific Energy Consumption (SEC) reduction of 5% per year, owing to Energy efficiency projects
- Around 0.5 Million units of electricity saved
Specific Energy Use: MJ/ton of product
Global warming is a big challenge the planet Earth is facing and CO2 emission plays a major role. Understanding the problem, we as a responsible corporate citizen have taken several initiatives in our energy consumption by adopting greener technologies like renewable energy and Bio Mass. The 3R principle is applied wherever possible.
- We are inherently a Planet friendly Organization.
- Emission reduction projects have been identified through a GHG Inventory study
Our Wind power project has been Certified by the United Nations Climate body as a Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) project
- Annual GHG emission during 2019 was around 19000 tons CO2. This would have been 42% higher without renewables and energy efficiency
- 200,000 tons of CO2 reduced by our renewable plants over 25 years – equivalent to 90,000 mature trees
GHG Emissions by category
Year 2019: 42% GHG Reduction
Product & Sustainability
To contribute to the sustainability , we continuously enhance our product performance and the products are designed with greener material to reduce the load on natural resources. LEAN principle is applied throughout our operations to produce more from less on a continuous basis.
We are Global leaders in Energy Efficient Power Transmission products. All our products deliver top of the class energy efficiency resulting in Energy savings for our customers throughout its lifecycle.
Our R&D team has successfully reduced Virgin raw materials use in the production by substituting with natural fillers and Reclaimed rubber
People & Community
We as an organisation believe that people are very important to take the sustainability Vision forward. Creating a great place to work is one of our endeavour to create a motivated team. The sustainability initiatives are taken out side the boundary of the organisation to the society and we try to give back what we have taken.
- Our People stand behind our Sustainability achievements
- Regular training programs are conducted on various Resource conservation and Green practices
- Safe and healthy workspace ensured
Beyond the Fence sustainability initiatives include Tree plantation drives, Restoration of Water bodies
Management System & Compliances
To ensure that the organisation is aligned to the sustainability vision , we have a documented manual for all the EOHS processes and we are certified for ISO 14001. Periodic internal and external audit facilitates the effectiveness of implementation and the adherence. A well structured review forum is in place and all the compliances are reviewed by Leadership team in a defined frequency.
Towards a Sustainable Future – Net Zero Impact
In our journey towards sustainable future the destination to be reached in the next three to five years is clearly articulated to the entire team by the top leadership and the key metrics are net carbon neutral and net water neutral within our plants. We are committed to create a Sustainable future for all. Given our strong Sustainability foundation, we have set ourselves an ambitious goal of achieving “Net Zero Carbon” and “Net Zero Water” status in the next few years.
Strategy & Management
Communication of the Net Zero vision to our people and training them
Consultations and Detailed Road map
Develop KPIs and targets for Sustainability performance Sustainability team (Energy, Water managers)
Sustainability performance Reviews
Enhance Carbon Offsetting by increasing Renewable energy use, Afforestation
Water augmentation projects
Resource Efficiency and Emission Reduction
Energy and Water Audits, Benchmarking
Achieve World class Energy and Water Efficiency
Explore and adapt Green fuels
Implement Green purchase policy
Third party Certification for Net Zero